Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Visual Rhetoric




While searching for an interesting picture to post, I came across this image and it made me think. Thanks to the series of commercials with the Spanish speaking chihuahua , we all know how to say I want Taco Bell in Spanish. Just by a few advertisements like this one, it is now a common phrase.



I enjoyed looking at all the different examples in the text book. I thought the one about Subaru was interesting. I was not aware that Subaru often appeals to the gay community. That shows that everyone interprets advertisements differently because I could have just seen the statement "get out and stay out" as going on a trip. But now that they explained it, I can see how it can be seen as coming out of the closet.

I also liked the example in the book about the Mercedes-Benz. It felt like it forced you to imagine a Mercedes, whether you were interested in buying one or not. You saw the words safe and fun and it made you think what those words really meant, and if Mercedes was really that. Not just coming out and saying this car is so wonderful, safe and fun, it brought it to you in a different and fresh way.

1 comment:

Mr. Ortiz said...

I think every time I see a chihuahua I think of taco bell. or even if I hear taco bell I'll think of the chihuahua . a lot of people will agree with me.