Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Slang

Alright, I think slang is awesome. It makes language more fun and exciting and I agree with Dalzell that is totally of youth people. Only sometimes do I hear my parents using slang words, generally when they are talking about their generation and growing up. They for sure used words like "groovy" and "foxy" and "sly" and those kinds of words. I thought it was interesting how Dalzell talked about the word "sweet" being a slang word that was used in the 60's because I use that word all the time. So it seems that some words live on thru generations at times which i think is fantastic. It's true how people really do use slang only when they are teenagers. After that point they may reference it but my parents certainly don't use it regularly. Slang's purpose to me is mostly for fun but it shapes youth people for their future, I think it is a language that keeps kids motivated about things. Like when they are talking about something they like they use slang, or dislike I suppose. Dalzell's views on slang are interesting I agree with a lot of what he says about slang changing all the time. but I still think it is cool how I use the word sweet and so did people in the 60's.

1 comment:

Counterintuitive said...

be interesting to try to figure how much "sweet" increased with Napolean Dynamite.