Friday, January 11, 2008

Do you speak American?

When reading this piece I was fascinated with the title. It was interesting because how often that question is phrased, "Do you speak English?" In reality the true meaning is, "Do you speak American?" I enjoyed reading the statement, "...it takes social contact to flip the switch that makes us talk." Speaking American according to this essay is that first contact that we make with others. We pass judgment with the way people "...sound, grammars and meanings". I find myself caught in this form of judgment. I like to say that I am a fluent American speaker in the environments that I associate myself with. I also found it interesting that language changes according to geography. In all actuality we all create our own language and our own America.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I too thought that this article was interesting. I know that I tend to correct people when I think that they have said something wrong. I now understand that depending on where they are from it might not be "wrong" to them. I think that my favorite quote from that article is "What do you call a person who speaks two languages? Biligual. What do you call a person who speaks one language? American."

Prof Ron said...

An interesting point about the title but I don't see your post on the videos???