Tuesday, January 22, 2008

codeswitching

After reading the piece on Spanglish, I came to the conclusion that what the Puerto Rican community was doing was similar to what monolingual speakers do. We each change our tone of voice, seriousness, and syntax to create an atmosphere and outcome that is fitting for a particular setting. From the reading I didn't find the codeswichers much different than myself. With my friends I may go from quoting movie lines that relate to the topic in our conversation. Those quotes wouldn't relate to me and my mom. So with my mom, I either quote from movies she relates to and listen to music that she approves of. With my grandparents I speak more loudly, pronunciate my words more clearly, and speak more soothingly, and sweetly. But with my dad I'm more direct, formal, and try to speak proper standard english because he's a stickler on that.

No comments: