Monday, January 21, 2008

"Spanglish" Codeswitching

I thought that the reading was quite interesting how it goes into detail on how younger spanish speaking generations are going more into speaking english than that of their elders. I have had experiance with this, I work at Kohl's department store in West Valley City and there are many times when a hispanic family comes in and the mother of father does not know how to speak english at all, so they have one of their children translate what I am trying to say. Since I don't know how to speak spanish in the slightest. It makes it nice though. And also, I have co-workers that can speak fluent spanish as well as english so if I have someone that does'nt understand me, I can ask one of them to translate. I think it good that they keep their heritage, but I wish that some would learn at least a little bit of english. It would help them in understanding people like me alot more. I hope the world will realize how important this kind of language switching is in everyday life, at least it is for me and makes my job a little bit easier.

2 comments:

Octavia Johnson said...

I agree with you, I have a co-worker that is Bosnian and he says its sad cause some his younger siblings don't speak there home language and the parents are struggling to understand English.

Melinda said...

My neighbors have the same problem. I feel bad because our neighborhood is pretty close, but they never join in on any of the neighborhood fun because they cant speak English.