Tuesday, January 22, 2008

code switching

The definition I have for code switching is that any tone or way you talk to a certain group is a code switch. This is for the fact that when around like friends I would say you wouldn't talk like you talk to your parent and it vice versa to the code switching. I feel in school I really don't have some of my best of friends so I have a different talk to the friends in school then the ones I have been friends with forever almost. However I also use some language switching from English to little amounts of German in conversations with my grandparents.

1 comment:

shauny said...

That sounds like me. I've also noticed that with childhood friends I'm more myself and can talk about more private things. With newer friends I'm not so comfortable. I'm still trying to figure them out and see how we fit together. Also, depending on how I met the person or the interests that we have that are similar, our conversations are different. Some friends I shop with and talk clothes and makeup, while other friends I have we travel together, camp, and talk outdoors type stuff.