Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Code Switching

I think switching is something we all do, everywhere you go you speak differently to different groups of people. it starts at home, I dont talk to my folks the same way I talk with my friends, teachers, classmates etc. The more I talk to my parents I would probably talk with a little more respect and caution in what I say as apposed to what I would say around others, its kind of sad thats the way it is but I qould say my parents even speak differently around my as apposed to their friends. Growing up speaking spanglish would be a benefit because to begin they would have two languages but then again they also have to learn the different undertones for both languages and that could be hard on kids.

1 comment:

Karla Furniss said...

I have found that with my kids although they are much better in English then Spanish they feel a little connection to those who speak Spanish because of our use of it at home. I agree that the undertones are something that they need more work on but at least having some base in the language seems to give them a little less fear in trying to learn those undertones outside of the home.