Friday, January 18, 2008

That's Ghetto!

Slang makes statements stick out and be heard.  I agree with Dalzell that using slang makes one feel they belong with the cool group.  I use many slang words, but my main ones are 'ghetto' and 'coolige'.  I laughed at what Dalzell was saying about slang changing, but then I realized that my 16 yr old niece is using words I don't even know!
To me the purpose of slang is to stand out form the norm.  New kids come along and start new slang or bring old sayings back from the past.  I agree hip hop, or "hiptionaries" as Dalzell calls it, is the most popular.  But also the most non-understandable by the older generations.  Maybe that's why the kids like to use it.  I found this video on youtube, its a little silly but it serves its purpose.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swNS51WGJUs

3 comments:

Melinda said...

My little brothers come home and use words that I dont even know. I see a lot of slang on instant messenger that makes no sense to me but I guess they can tell what is going on.

Kjiggs said...

I completely agree that slang is used to stick out from the humdrum, dull-as-dishwater norm. However, if a slang term becomes widely used, then those who jump onto the bandwagon may inadvertently create the new norm that everyone will escape from. I think that's why slang is so temporary in my family. We (especially me) don't like to subscribe to any particular group, so we make up our own slang terms.

Prof Ron said...

What a hoot--the hip hop helper! And it's interesting that she tries the hip hop language with the black woman in the store. I wonder how to take this. Seems to be making fun of her assumptions about black English but could also reify stereotypes..