Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"I Have A Dream,"

While reviewing my home discourse paper, one of the things we needed to note on was what words or phrases created a sense of intimacy or belonging.  Since we just celebrated Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, I figured it would be more than appropriate to blog on his "I Have A Dream," speech.  
I'm sure you are all familiar with this historic speech that made the African American civil rights movement grow stronger then it ever had before.  The power of his sermon was the most intense and influential speech that touch everyone, no matter the color of their skin.
I can't express enough words to say what this sermon means to me.  As an African American, while I listen and reread it time and time again I can't help feeling empowered.   At the same time a sense of calmness sweeps over me, a blanket of security
"...I'm free at last, I'm free at last.  Thank God almighty I'm free at last."

The History Channel did a wonderful program of Dr. King and here is a link to a overview of the famous speech.

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=57771&display_order=1&sub_display_order=3&mini_id=1071

No comments: