Sunday, January 13, 2008

Blog #1

I had some problems when taking the quiz. I don't know if it was the fact that possibly I couldn't spell or that I just didn't know what I was talking about, either one I did fairly decent.
The first video "HUD fair housing" I thought at first it was pretty funny. But after watching the 20/20 video I realized that racial profiling is an actual problem. Me being the race that I am, I'm kind of naive to all the problems that others face out there.
I think that we discrminate based on dialect because it's just another way to judge others on how they look and how there were raised. It's ironic that people all over the world without being taught or introduced into learning about language and society already know so much. We as a society know that if a person is a certain race or color or who has been raised in a certain place will sound the way that they do, or use the words that they choose to. It seems to be an on-going cycle.
The people that want equal treatment should get it. And I think that we as a society shouldn't have to keep making up legislation to get it. I think that we as human beings should be civil and show our fellow person hospitality. We are so mean to each other on more than just race. But alot of those that do discrimate were raised to feel that way.It comes from years and years of pretty much being brain washed. It's a shame that we have let ourselves become warped into believing that skin color really does matter.
That is my two cents didn't really mean to go off on a tangent.

2 comments:

Chrissy Soul said...

Actually I totally agree with what you are saying with skin color not needing to matter. It's messed up that it does. Also, to respond about the brain-washing topic, for sure. I think it is incredible how much we as a society have been brainwashed. It's also impressive that we pass all these laws so its supposed to be "equal" for everyone in this country, yet there is still so much discrimination going on. For sure, I agree with you 100% -christine

Spale said...

racist people listen to dialects to identify the people they hate, and that is a very unfortunate thing that happens in our society.

Skin color unfortunately matters still in this country, and will forever be an issue.

This made up flag was featured on the popular show called "South Park"

http://greenbayvegan.blogspot.com/2007/05/south-park-and-how-it-relates-to.html

(don't mind the topic at hand on this link)