Thursday, January 17, 2008

Lang' and Slan' Dude

Hey everybody! After reading about the article from Dalzell I have to admit it really does feel like I'm losing touch with my slang life. It's agreeable that youth in many generations, including our own, are finding new meanings in words, especially slang. I thought it was interesting how the author mentioned that many adults are not able to "Keep up" with the different terminology. As "cool" as slang is, shouldn't we all be using it? I think we are whether we realize it or not. I know that when I get together with some of my friends it is so easy to switch over to some of the slang jargon that makes being with them so much fun. I really enjoy saying things like "what up foo" or "what it is, what a ta?" Also, some of the things we say where I work is like a whole other language. It is almost like night and day, literally, since I work the night shift.

I think the real purpose of slang is to create within oneself the ability to feel good about their identity amongst peers. The setting or environment we associate with tends to define who we are in society. I truly believe that Dalzell defined this in his post when he says, "Slang's primary reason for being, to establish a sense of commonality among its speakers,..." Therefore, whatever words we use, we attract a certain so called "Tribe" into our culture and ultimately our lives.



I recently found a website where one can improve their slang vocabulary if interested. It is SO awesome!!Now anyone can learn new slang words and be "Hip." The website is at: http://www.slangsite.com/ and some of the words are actually kind of funny too.

1 comment:

ben6 said...

I took a quick peek, that's got some pretty neat ones. Heads up on http://www.urbandictionary.com/ which has a lot of slang, some of the submissions have several definitions, and others are just joke entries though. It's quite crude too.