Thursday, January 24, 2008

Switchin it up

After reading "The Hows and Whys of Spanglish" it made me recall the thousands and thousands of times that I took part in codeswitching while I was on my mission. I used codeswitching time and time again. Sometimes I would practice codeswitching on purpose while at other times it would just come out. For example, if my companion and I were giving a lesson and 45 minutes had passed and we were feeling that this particular individual didn't want to learn and/or was being combative, I would switch over to English and discretely say something to the affect of "let's go" or "time to leave." While on other occasions I would just be speaking in Spanish with my companion and just out of nowhere I'd start speaking English or be speaking English and mid-sentence bust into Spanish. Personally, I just did whatever was more convenient or which ever way I could express what I was trying to convey at that time. A lot of the time there was bit of Spanish and English mixed together. I loved that time of my life when I had such a hold on the Spanish language from being engulfed in it, that I had the luxury of being able to express my feelings in whichever of the two (if I was talking to someone that also spoke English of course).

No comments: