Thursday, January 17, 2008

my views on slang

I am going to write this from a Spanish point of view as it is my primary language. I use some English slang but nothing compared to Spanish slang. All Latin America countries use different slang, just as other English speaking countries use different forms of slang. For example Americans call police “cops” etc where in the UK they are referred to as “bobbies”. I think we use slang to save time, to feel like part of a group, and to feel cool. Spanish and English slang have the same motivations behind them. Often when somebody is angry they use foul slang, so I would agree the purpose changes depending on the context of the conversation. When you are talking to a friend or a close associate that you feel comfortable with you are more inclined to use friendly slang or kid around. If a person has prejudices toward other cultures it will definitely come out in their slang. Sometimes slang is used to exclude these individuals; words like “wetback”, “faggot”, “dike” are considered very offensive and we have the same situations where I’m from.

I agree with Dalzell about slang establishing a sense of commonality between it’s speakers. I also agree that it is a language of youth, establishing a gulf between parents and their children. Young people want their own language that can’t be intruded upon by authority figures.

No comments: