Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Codeswitching

This was a great article! I enjoyed reading the examples of codeswitching in the article and how Zantella took on the challenge of trying to learn why and when codeswitching was used in the NYPR community. I loved the part of Zantella's conclusion on page 226 where she says "Code switching is, fundamentally, a conversational activity via which speakers negotiate meaning with each other, like salsa dancers responding smoothly to each other's intricate steps and turns". As both the wife of a Latino and a salsa dancer, I loved how this quote compared salsa dancing with codeswitching, and I think it's a great comparison. Codeswitching has been a wonderful help to me as I have learned spanish over the past couple of years! Before I knew much spanish vocabulary it was a way for me to know at least half of what someone was saying when they codeswitched using spanish and English. And now that I understand most of the spanish too it's just fun to hear and understand the whole conversation or sentence. I admire those who have a strong enough grasp of two languages that they can codeswitch with ease!

3 comments:

Mr. Ortiz said...

I agree, code-switching can help a person learn a language .when a person tries to relate the word to the rest of the frase or sentence.it helped me.

shauny said...

I have a strong desire to learn spanish. I'm nervous, but when talking about codeswitching it seems like maybe I could catch on. I think it's a positive thing, not negative like some people think.

Alyssa said...

I agree with you when you said you thought it was fun to know just a few words when people would speak in "Spanglish" as you were leaning Spanish. I felt the same way when I was talking Spanish and I worked a restaurant. I could pick up on a few words here and there that the cooks were saying. It also helped me to learn Spanish faster becuase I could understand their conversations better.