Monday, January 21, 2008

Codeswitching

I'm not sure what exactly this blog "should" be about, so I'll just go for it.  I think codeswitching is interesting.  Typically I've only heard used in situations where someone is emphasizing something, such as when they're angry, they'll revert back to their native tongue.  Since I am monolingual (sad, after 6 years of German in school!!!) I can't really wrap my head around being able to switch between languages so smoothly, since it takes me half an hour and an English to German Dictionary to form a sentence.  While all the kids were speaking Spanglish in high school, though, we spoke "gemixed pickles," as my teacher called it (more fun to say that Germlish, I suppose). In that setting, both were terms for people who didn't know the language well enough to speak it fluently.  

No comments: