Thursday, January 17, 2008

Slang, y'dig?

I think that the real purpose of slang is to be able to put an emphasis on something in a way that can't really be done with the "prescribed" way of using words.  Making one up, or simply changing the way an existing word is used, enables us to feel as if we're expressing ourselves in the best possible way.
Growing up in the 80's and 90's, I actually ended up using more of the slang from the 60's and 70's because it felt more accurate to say something was groovy, for example, than the options that my generation had come up with.
I also found it interesting that the article noted that most people use slang less and less once they enter their twenties.  Looking through my 20s so far, though, I've noticed that it's just shifted from the slang of the American culture, to the slang that my close friends and family have developed for various emotions and the like.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

I agree with you that slang is fun to play around with. It is also funny to notice how your conversation changes with various groups. I find it funny also when I hear my parent come out with slang words that I didn't know they had it in them.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting insights. i like what you talk about with slang from different eras