Monday, January 21, 2008

Code-switching at home, on Seinfeld, and in our sleep?

I didn't know I was experiencing 'code-switching' until I read the definition on Wikipedia. My husband is Latino, and I noticed early on in our relationship that often, his family would speak to me in English, but switch to Spanish when certain topics were discussed. These topics would include, well... me, or politics, or family secrets, or basically anything else they didn't want me to know about. I've also noticed my husband code-switches when he is really tired, and even does it in his sleep. The other night he talked in his sleep in German and English! When I was searching for more information about code-switching online, I came across this interesting article on npr.org about a black family trying to adopt a white child: (please copy and paste into your browser, for some reason I'm getting an error message when trying to insert a link through Blogger.com)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/2007/11/white_kid_black_family_transra.html

The author writes about how the family had to learn to code-switch:
For example, I hadn't considered how often we talked about white people at home. I hadn't realized that dinnertime stories were rarely told without referencing the race of the players. I was also oblivious how frequently I used racial stereotypes. We began diligently censoring ourselves. Of course we've routinely adjusted our language and behavior for the sake of our white peers, neighbors, bosses and friends, but this little girl lives with us, which requires code switching and code creating at home.


Also, an episode of Seinfeld came to mind, 'The Understudy':

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/the-understudy/2192825172

Elaine has been getting her nails done at a Korean salon. She begins to suspect the women are speaking about her in Korean, so she invites George's dad, who speaks the language, to go with her and translate. Her suspicions are confirmed and she also discovers one of Mr. Costanza's deep dark secrets.

Hasn't something like this happened to all of us at one time or another?

5 comments:

Melinda said...

When I saw that episode I had to laugh. I have felt that way when I have been at the nail parlor and been alone.

Mr. Ortiz said...

I will switch also to spanish when we are talking about a certain topic like something important, cause I really dont wanna get it wrong, spanish is my better language. is good to switch.

ben6 said...

Yes, it has. This one time I was in a restaurant and asked an old couple if I could sit at their table, the man didn't object so I decided to sit down. And then in German he mumbled "scram!". It was a really peculiar situation because he didn't think I could understand.

Alyssa said...

It's funny that you mentioned that episode of Seinfeld becuase I was just thinking about the nail salon and how they speak a different language and then switch back to English. You sometimes feel left out or as if they are making fun of you. It makes me want to learn their language just to know what they are saying!

Matt Pope said...

I took Spanish in 7th grade because I wanted to see if Latin people would talk about me behind their backs. I was pretty naive back then. I speak Spanish now and find that is not the case. I have a Peruvian friend and we seem to switch between languages a lot. Mostly to remember our Spanish because we're not exposed to it everyday now but some things just make more sense in another language.