Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Codeswitching
"Problem" of codeswitching is part of my current life. I speak 2 totally different languages. English means for me a lazy, colorful, funny language that sounds to me almost like someone is singing, and then Czech that is a hard, strong language but just because it is my mother language it contains lots of emotions. In connection with article from Zentella, I like when she talks about choices of two languages. We have a choice in different situation, in who we spoke what to whom, and when to change language. That's what I experience almost every day. I have to switch the language I speak depending on situation I am in showing respect, expressing feelings etc.
There are also times when I want to express something that is really emotional therefore I would love to speak Czech but I cannot because people would not understand me. In the opposite way, sometimes I feel like speaking English back home but I can't because people who do not speak English would take it disrespectfully.
As Zentella mentioned, sometimes I speak "out of the mouth" and I mix both languages, making up new words of "Czechlish."
Speaking two different languages is advantageous, and because of codeswitching in the appropriate way it is easier to achieve what we desire to express.

No comments: