Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cambiar entre codigos

Before reading the article about code switching I had no idea that this phenomenon had been researched. I can recall various times having participated in it and plenty of other times observing people using code switching. It is difficult to pick out instances in English where I might use code switching because it is probably something we very naturally do but it is easier to pick out when switching between two languages for particular purposes. I have a Peruvian friend that I speak with occasionally and our conversation will switch between English and Spanish many times. It seems like we reminisce in cultural experiences we had in Peru in Spanish and speak English more frequently when talking about Utah. I also worked at a computer shop where I spoke Spanish everyday. The owner and a few of the employees were Peruvians and I did a lot of translating between them and the other employees but one thing stood out. My boss would almost always speak to me in English and so would I. I didn't know why that was important but it's easier to see now that code switching describes certain instances where you would speak one language or the other. I've also gone to the West Jordan library where I have eavesdropped on a few conversations of young people and have heard the code switching phenomenon in effect. In one instance one youth used Spanish to put down another and he retaliated with a mix of English and Spanish all in one sentence to mask his apparent use of expletives.

No comments: