Thursday, January 17, 2008

I'm wondering about why we use slang. The article stated that minorities, oppressed groups, and coworkers come up with their own slang. But for everybody of every age , why? Well its fun! and I believe it serves a purpose. Slang allows us to color our language. It makes it so we can have more than just words, intonation, and meaning. Slang can set the mood of your message; slang dips into all the layers of not only what you're saying, but what you're meaning and feeling. Its almost like a code, and if you can get the message and decode it correctly you can see into the person and learn what they're really all about. When my dad uses slang, he's doing more than projecting himself as hip or cool, he's being endearing. (is that possible?)What I mean is, that I find it funny because I know and love him; another man, similar to my dad, could say the same thing and I might laugh but when my dad says, for example "peace out" I not only laugh but it gives me a 'warm fuzzy.' Its almost like he's letting me know that he loves me, when he uses slang. (by the way there's also plenty of non-verbal stuff going on, i.e.=eyebrow raise, looking you in the eye, the 'I'm cool' expression) He is also revealing his mood to me.
When my dad says 'peace out' its like he's saying: I'm hip, I'm cool, I love you, life's good, I'm happy and I want you to be happy too. :) I know there's more to it than that but I don't know how to express it.

5 comments:

Spale said...

I really see slang as a way to cut some words short, just like "text message language", or "txt msg lng".
hahahahhahahahaha, lol.

Well, slang is like that. Like for one instance, to call your girlfriend by something else than girlfriend. You can call her, "my bu", "my gf", and "shorty".

Slang can change, as was seen in the 60's, "groovy" was a popular word, and "foxy". Now days, people would laugh at you if you said those things.

Go to this webiste, and see this humourous cartoon.

http://web.mac.com/arnold_zwicky/BizarroPhat.gif

My views with Dalzell are neutral. Cant say i love it, cant say i hate it.

:)

ben6 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ben6 said...

I agree it's fun. I like to make up my own slang every now and then, but some of it falls into disuse. But thank heavens, there's other people whose slang you can sometimes opt to keep, if you think it sounds fly.

Unknown said...

I like how you mentioned how it conveys a certain mood or emotion. I had been thinking about that but wasn't sure how to explain it.

Counterintuitive said...
This comment has been removed by the author.