Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Straight talk?

As I was reading through the examples of advertising that we were assigned one stood out above the rest. It stood out not because of it's power, rather it stood out because it felt ironic. Ironic because the first thing my eyes were attracted to were the words:
Straight
talk from
Coors
Then the article proceeded to use acronyms that are difficult to understand. I recognize that the advertisement is geared toward the gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans gender (GLBT) community but the use of multiple other acronyms that are less common left me with the feeling that they were not trying to be as "Straight" as the advertisement proclaims in the beginning . The over all idea of the article is that Coors Brewing Co. is
despite what a political candidate named Pete Coors had said about gay issues. I recognize that the advertiser is using a play on words that the gay community could identify with by using the word straight, but to follow that up with the use of the acronyms HRC, GLAAD, GPAC, and even GLBT I was left with the feeling that they were not necessarily trying to speak clearly or "straight".

No comments: