Monday, January 21, 2008

Blog #3 Codeswitching

Codeswitching seems to be a very important thing to those who are not surrounded by their original language. It's a way to connect and show yourself that you are a bit different from those around you. But it can alienate others around you. Say for examble you're getting your nails done and the ladies doing your nails are Vietmanize and they start talking in that language, you feel alienate maybe they're saying that you're ugly or smell funky who knows? I'd ask them but I don't want to be rude, and I don't really get my nails done.

It seems as if codeswitching is a very important part to people who are mulitlangual and can switch between the two. I would do it if I could. I think it's really funny how people will speak certain words in English or certain words in the other language. I'd like to know why they switch between the two. The reading kind of brushed on it being based upon the person that they're addressing or someone that they want to know what they are talking about such as parents who only speak a certain language. Maybe they could do that when talking to someone that understands the other language better. Such as you're talking with your friend that is bilangual he's speaking to you in English and he gets a phone call and starts speaking Spanish, it could be that he is talking that way because the other person understands that better.

2 comments:

Octavia Johnson said...

I totally understand where your going. I have bilingual friends and they speak English around me out of respect. I think codeswitching is a great skill but I do understand how you feel when certain people don't speak English you almost feel your in the wrong.

Mr. Ortiz said...

I usually translate what I say when I code-switch so the person doenst think that I'm talking about them or left out of the converstaion. I dont want to confuse anybody either.