Friday, January 11, 2008

Racial Linguistics

This assignment was pretty interesting. It really made me think about how I might respond to the different dialects and forms of speech. The quiz showed that there is a definite form of racial profiling done when a certain accent is heard. I was able to guess all but one person's ethnic background. As for racial inequality, especially with the equal housing, I was really surprised that it was as bad as it was portrayed to be. In another class that I have taken, we talked about the different ideas and generalizations that come with the different backgrounds. Take for example, what is usually the ethnic background that is most commonly said to be in "the slums" or "ghetto"? African Americans. Since this is the generalization then is that the same thing will happen for that place that they are renting or selling. People are afraid to lose that which they have worked so hard for, causing that fear to overcome their rational states of mind, even if they aren't conscious of what they are doing, and deny those that would qualify normally to take care of those places that the owner is renting or selling.
Of course those that are on the recieving end of things have every right to be upset about how they have been treated. Every person has the right to be treated equal and with out prejudice. Unfortunately, this does happen to many people every day. It is not right, but a fact of life even in our day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had been wondering what causes might cause someone to discriminate against other races in housing... I wasn't able to come up with anything myself, but your talk of the black-ghetto connection struck a chord. That's a huge connection and a big revelation to me on how true it is. If I close my eyes and picture a ghetto- caucasians are definately the minority there. What a shame! Even in my own head.

Prof Ron said...

"causing that fear to overcome their rational states of mind"

Well-said! I think we all fall prey to this. One might compare this to the irrational fears we have at night concerning noises etc.