Tuesday, January 22, 2008

code-switching ....

Using more than one language in conversation is something that we as humans probably do without realizing. It is normal and it makes us who we are. My opinions on it are; that sometime to be understood or to address a specific group of people code-switching is necessary. For example if I don’t speak to my sister using “spanglish” she might not understand what I’m asking or saying. But with my mom I will have to talk mainly in Spanish but adding full English words because she is used to them and they are easier to relate. Now I believe we are code-switching and it feels so natural. But if the person is not familiar with both of the language the person will be confused. So in other words it depends on the community.

On Zantella reading I agree that the children acquire two grammars. But I believe that one grammar is use more than the other, if we use the two grammars together it would sound a little messy. We hear these words and our minds adapt to them, if both languages are know there shouldn’t be any problem understanding. Sometime we use for our benefits like if we are going to say something about somebody else present that we don’t want them to know about, but a lot of people get offended. Also if you are going quote somebody it’s good to use the language that they said it in, because most of the time translation doesn’t work. Many people also use code switching because they don’t know the words.

1 comment:

Karla Furniss said...

I agree with what you said about quotes. I also think that the ability to adapt ones language based on the community you are in allows the speaker to identify, even if it is just a little bit, with various communities and groups.