Sunday, March 2, 2008

When to use the N-word...

I found Asim's explanations on why the "N" word carries so much weight very interesting. I had always believed that any and all racial, or otherwise, epithets were equally objective and offensive. But after reading this chapter I can understand how the history of a word can give it more weight than a word with a clean or short history as in "honky" or "queer". I have always found the N-word to be highly offensive, but was enlightened by this reading as to why it is so much more offensive than so many other derogatory words used to describe minorities.
I have also always been of the mind the the N-word should be completely eradicated; never used by anyone no matter what. Although Asim believes that certain studies cannot be properly pursued without the word, I am still not sure I agree. I do think that it is very important to teach and learn about history, even the negative parts of it and I believe that it is important for art to be able to imitate life realistically and even shock people if necessary. However, I do not see cause or justification for continuing to spread hate by allowing this word to continue it's existence.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I feel that if some people are offended by the term that it is an offensive term and shouldnt be used in public. There is no way to stop someone from using the word, but I would hope that people would understand anothers feeling for the word and be mature.