Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Blog 9: Gender

Hey, I just thought that since I had time this week that I would get this done early and not have to worry about it later, leaving more time to focus on the ethnography stuff. Well, After reading about "The return of the girl," I never would have thought that the use of the word "girl" would be so problamatic in society. It just seems so silly to me that anyone and everyone can be so nit-picky about such a minute thing, like the "N" word. How is it that we seem to focus on these little things like saying girl instead of woman. For me it doesn't seem like a big deal, but maybe in such instances, for example, of the corporate world it would. Do we always have to be socially or politically correct when it comes to these terms? Again, my opinion is that it depends on the person and the setting, whether formal or informal.

2 comments:

shauny said...

I agree that people can make a huge deal out a whole lot of nothing. I realize the issues at hand, but really, I think sometimes people are too sensitive. Just try to be the best you can be and set the example. There is more to life than creating more problems and hurt feelings over situations that clearly won't be resolved in a short amount of time.

Yony and Eagen said...

Yes, I think that to the extent that we are aware of an issue, we should be sensitive and respectful, but we shouldn't blow small things out of proportion so much that it makes them a bigger deal than they were to start with!