Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Genuine Understanding...

Talk about a wrong first impression! When I started reading Deborah Tannen's article "Can't We Talk?" to prepare for class tomorrow, I was anything but enthusiastic. The tripe that guys like Dr. Phil and John Gray (the author of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus) produce immediately came to mind, and I steeled myself to endure some more. I have been writing a lot lately about feminist literary theory and the feminist movement overall, and feel that much of the lip service given to the differences between men and women are exaggerated and blown out of proportion. Viewing men and women as radically different is part of the reason true gender equality is still just a goal, and not a reality.

That said, Tannen’s article was wonderfully insightful and on point, something I suppose I must admit begrudgingly. She makes the linguistic differences in the way words are used and interpreted by men and women so clearly apparent, that I would be a fool to disagree with her. As way of acquiescence, I think I will read the whole book from which this excerpt originates. Anyone else interested can explore the actual print version a bit here, via Amazon.com’s online reader.

Turning my attention to “The Return of Girl” by Darryl McGrath, I find material far more in line with my own fears about how language and perception keeps gender inequality in place. The use of the term “Girl” is an excellent example of the power of language, albeit sadly a negative one. Its use, when in reference to women in their late teens or older clearly serves as “reinforcement that women should strive to look sexual and youthful” and is “an infantilizing term.” Its result, whether intentional or not, to take power and authority away from women, as has been done for centuries. The author attempts to examine the issue without exuding bias, which bolsters his credibility, but for me the issue is open and shut: Girl can and is being used to denigrate women. It is however, important to distinguish its use in professional and commercial settings from informal and personal ones. In private life and conversation, words carry different meanings, and I am not suggesting that the use of the word Girl is patently wrong or incorrect. Always look at who is saying what, not just what is being said, if you want to understand the true power of language.

1 comment:

shauny said...

I understand your frustration and some of the things you said. I don't have as passionate an opinion, but I do agree that society should try at not using "girl" in work and public settings. It's a way to view women subordinate to men, but I must not experience it enough to make me feel really angry about the issue.