Saturday, March 8, 2008

Ethnography

Although, I am still working on how to address the situation I am looking at dyslexia. As I have done some background research I have been intrigued to find that on almost all the major dyslexia sites there is a section where famous people who have dyslexia are highlighted. They all seem to approach the matter by saying that people who have the condition tend to be more creative. I have also found a site from England that claims that certain mental exercises can essentially train the brain how to process information better. Part of the interest I have about the group is that as I have spoken to members of the community they have tended to all be intelligent people that were greatly underestimated in the school system because teachers did not know how to help them. I am guessing that the people affected by the disorder end up essentially code switching in there own minds to be able to adapt to the world around them.

4 comments:

Octavia Johnson said...

I think your doing a great job in approaching this topic. When I think of ethnography I thought it was just about other cultures, but you opened up a great topic on a different community. Keep going man!

Jennifer Clark said...

i belive that would be a great comunity to really explore. i would say that seeing people with the disorter might help to really bring out your paper. inthe fact that you could show through the writting how they can sometimes get off course a little.

Matt Pope said...

That's interesting how you are having difficulty addressing the issue and one of the issues you are addressing is the difficulty teachers have addressing the issue of dyslexia with students. Wow, that was a mouthful. It sounds like a very good topic for your ethnography. Like Octavia said there are more than just different cultures or races that we can look at.

Chelsea said...

Wow, I never really thought about it like that! I think this will be really interesting for you.. my dad has mild dyslexia and I always wondered about the effects it has socially and what not. You might have to let me know how that works out for you.