Friday, March 7, 2008

Ethnography

I'd decided back with our first assignment to do my Ethnography on the Polynesian-American community. Where I live in Kearns/Taylorsville, I've always been surrounded by a rich polynesian community both in my church, neighborhood, and school. They've always had a very unique attitude and way of doing things, and although I had recognized that they were wonderfully different from my own culture, I had not previously though why and how far it went. And to visit the Hawiian cultural center and discuss their use of language formally, it interested me to think of their use of Pidgeon English--in fact, I think it origionated with the polynesians. I'm not sure, but that's definately something I'm going to find out. Because if polynesians were the creators of Pidgeon English; why would they have taken to it so? I really think this idea has a lot of potential and look forward to learning more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that your idea is very wonderful and has so much potential to be a great project! I have always wanted to know more about that culture and what they do. I would love to hear more about it.