Friday, March 28, 2008

Blog #9

I love this class and have really loved the subjects/units that we have discussed over the semester. However, I feel that the "Gender" unit that we are covering is not near as interesting as all the other units we have covered. To me, this is a matter that is so minute and trivial it's not even worth the time to study it. I feel that there are so many other problems to worry about in this chaotic world that if a female becomes upset when she is referred to a "girl" when she perceives herself as a "woman" that she has other problems to deal with. I am almost 24 years old. Many would say that I have arrived at an age where I would be referred to as a "man." If someone called me a boy or referred to me as a boy it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I can guarantee you that if I were 50 years old and someone called me a "boy" it wouldn't phase me a bit!

I also want to echo the claim made in a post that I read which states that woman are spending insane amounts of money on trying to maintain a youthful appearance, but when they are referred to as a "girl" instead of a "woman" they make a big fuss. That just goes to show that we live in a time where can't stand it if there's nothing to complain about. Therefore, we feel the need to have to create stupid complaints that don't even make any sense at all!

1 comment:

Matt Pope said...

I don't agree with your comment about it not mattering what you are called. Though we are "adults" and can handle situations where we are called down to this might have a serious effect on people, especially on teens. If someone called me "boy" they better be like 80 years old or yes, it would offend me, I would be less likely to listen or even stick around if someone showed me such disrespect. On the other hand I don't see it as being abnormal for women to call each other "girl" in the same way that some people may use otherwise derogatory words like the "N" word to refer to a close friend.