Sunday, March 2, 2008

Blog 6: In a digital world

Many of the things in which Mark Wesch made a point in his web 2.0 video I believe are true for most of us who participate in this class. It was interesting to see how many people shared the same situation that I do in respect to their education. Mark said they had done a project where a blog had been edited 376 or so times to come up with some statistics about how often a certain things happen. I find that I do spend more time on the internet than doing any one other particular thing during the day besides sleeping. I don't always read my text books and sometimes find it easier to look up terms and references on the internet using sources like wikipedia and google. I read more emails in a year than I read pages in a book and spend more time watching youtube videos and other online video sources than I even do watching TV. The information age that we live in has sure changed the mediums that we use to access information. I think we are falling behind in some areas like our educaitonal institutions on how we incorporate that into our study. I would be lost without resources like the internet. A card catalog in a library just does not seem a likely place where I would venture to seek information. I would probably be in the dark on a lot of topics and issues. Because of the internet I have achieved the status of where I am in life today. I have been able to learn what others have not been able to teach me. I have been able to learn about things that would have otherwise not been available to me. I know about technology and computers systems because I have been connected to the knowledge and contributions of all others out there who have come together to share to create something bigger than themselves.

1 comment:

Prof Ron said...

A very insightful post, especially for me as a teacher. Maybe technology will or already has fundamentally changed the teacher/student relationship because now students have access to information.