Monday, March 3, 2008

Language and Race

Going back to what I said before in my poetry slam blog, the level of toleration for this word seems to have become a nuisance to the African American community. Not only to them but perhaps to all who are subjected to this word in a negative way. One might conclude that the "N" word does not need to be in the Webster dictionary anymore. That racism among all people might be compared to this conformity is in and of itself inevitable if not elusive.Many of us, including myself, seem to ignore the facts in today's society. The question of how long one can evade such an illusionistic thought is beyond me. There may or may not come a time when this illusion within society will be withdrawn altogether. The fact of the matter is that most people see things for what they are instead of seeing people. For instance, when I walk down the street and see a black police officer get out of his car he isn't just black to me, he's more than that. He is a human being just like me who has worked hard to become a police officer to serve and protect this country. He has developed within himself a love for what he does otherwise he would not do it. When I see people in this way my perspective on life is enlarged and I learn more about them, as well as myself, than I previously suspected. That is why this "N" word thing should be addressed so that society can move on to bigger and better things.I just recently had the chance to Listen to the audio book of Jabari Asim's "The 'N' word." After listening to it I now feel a deeper understanding and appreciation of why not to use the "N" word. Before, I used to use it as a loose term among friends, but because of the historical implications for the use of the "N" word I now feel like deleting it from my vocabulary. It should not be a thing taken lightly.

As Asim said in his Book, "The 'N' word," "Dave Chapell said in the New York Times, If people stop saying the 'N' word is everyything going to be equal? Is a rainbow going to come out of the sky and all of a sudden things will be better for black people?" Probably not unless it was forgotten completely.

No comments: