Sunday, March 2, 2008

N word = Limitations in Language

This reading opened my mind a lot more about the N word. Nevertheless, I still have the same belief about the usage of the word as I did before the readings. I am a firm believer in acquiring as much knowledge as possible in order to obtain an extensive vocabulary and be able to express oneself as well and eloquent as possible. I know that I am far from where I want to be in terms of the extensiveness of my person vocabulary. Nevertheless, I am ever trying to further my education and am trying to do my part. I feel that the black community limits their vocabulary in expressing themselves while just using the N word. There are a variety of situations that can and should be expressed with more than just one word, the N word. I do understand that it can be used in SO many situations, just like th F word, which is another word that so many use that auses their vocabulary to be limited. It's like blacks feel that they are entitled to use the N word in any given situation and/or setting. I'm not insinuating that blacks are less intelligent than any other race, this is just an observation that I have made over time. I appreciated the portion of the reading where it states that Dave Chappelle loved hearing two white kids refer to one another as "nigger." Then the claim was made that if an Asian-American man would likewise appreciate two black kids refer to one another as "gook" or "jap." It would sound really awkward and inappropriate! My conclusion on the whole matter is that regardless of the culture that one is from or their ethnic make-up, they should make an attempt at using language as a way to express themselves and not be limited and live in ignorance.

2 comments:

Ali Mae said...

I feel the same way about swearing. In my opinion, rather than demonstrating 'free speech' with its use, it demonstrates a lack of creativity, eloquence, and effective communication.

Melinda said...

I also agree. I feel that if you have to express your feeling by swearing, that you are limiting yourself. Besides, people dont even use most of the swear words appropriately, and thats just irritating.