Friday, March 7, 2008

Blog #8 Ethnography

I had other ideas for the ethnography but then I was talking to Pauline from class and she suggested to do it on her polynesian culture. She's going to help me get in with the polynesian community. I'll probably be going to some church services they have and any other activities. I'm not really sure how they use language. Maybe they switch between the language from the islands and english, to both identify with the polynesian and american community around them. Maybe also they use their own slang to create a sense of unity and bond to separate themselves from the larger white society. I know this will be a good learning opportunity and open my eyes to new experiences, values, and culture.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I am sure that you will have a fun time and that you will learn alot.