I think that the word "girl" can be offensive if used in a way that would make someone feel like an outsider. I hate it when my guys friends would say "What do you know, you're just a girl." What does that mean? That sentence comes across very offensive, whereas another sentence, "You are a very pretty girl" uses the same word but is completely different. I think the same thing goes for the N word. I agree with Asim that when it comes to scholarly work, or art, that word could be used, but I dont think that it has a place in todays society.
I think that it is so interesting that some simple words can change meaning over time and be turned into a hurtful word. My grandmother told me that I looked very gay the other day. At first I was confused as to why she would say that to me. Then I realized when she was younger they used that word all the time to describe someone looking happy or excited. I just got back from Las Vegas and it is amazing how even though most Americans speak English, words here mean something so different someplace else.
Monday, March 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you all the way. I have friends that are like that and say "Oh she is being girly again!" It doesn't feel good to have someone say something like that.
Post a Comment