Monday, March 31, 2008

Blog 9

I think that the word "girl" can be offensive if used in a way that would make someone feel like an outsider. I hate it when my guys friends would say "What do you know, you're just a girl." What does that mean? That sentence comes across very offensive, whereas another sentence, "You are a very pretty girl" uses the same word but is completely different. I think the same thing goes for the N word. I agree with Asim that when it comes to scholarly work, or art, that word could be used, but I dont think that it has a place in todays society.
I think that it is so interesting that some simple words can change meaning over time and be turned into a hurtful word. My grandmother told me that I looked very gay the other day. At first I was confused as to why she would say that to me. Then I realized when she was younger they used that word all the time to describe someone looking happy or excited. I just got back from Las Vegas and it is amazing how even though most Americans speak English, words here mean something so different someplace else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you all the way. I have friends that are like that and say "Oh she is being girly again!" It doesn't feel good to have someone say something like that.