Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Vagina Monologues

I went to the Vagina Monologues recently. I found the play on words interesting using such derogatory words in an open casual manner with many colorful metaphors. The way I was brought up, anything to do with anything sexual was not spoken of in causal conversation.
The play defies the "hush, hush" rules. That in a sense was its purpose. To get the vagina out in the open. Trying to give it less of a bad rap. Women talked about their vagina like it was a person with feelings and a voice. It wore certain clothing such as furr, silk, and high heels. It said things like "closed due to flooding," "more," and "do it again." It was referred to as the "grass around the house" and the "doorbell to the house."
I felt really uncomfortable during the play and disgusted. I think that's what the writer wanted the audience to feel, so you'd realize their frustration. They wanted you to realize that if it was spoken of more often-good or bad-then it wouldn't be ignored. The play incorporates monologues celebrating the vagina. Ones were more serious than others. I never imagined women could have such emotions and expressions regarding the vagina. I personally really don't think about that that much. Maybe that's because of my upbringing, the culture around me, and my own feelings and experiences.
But women are held as second class in society. Women are second best to men. The male penis dominates. Males get paid more. Women get raped and have to pay for their own rape kits and prove that we didn't "ask for it" and that it was consentual sex.
In the play the vagina is cool. The vagina is where it all happens. The vagina is raped with guns, the clitoris is cut away, or the vagina is invaded by huge medical tongs . Some men make sure women aren't enticing or will never be able to feel pleasure. It's a way to control women.
I may have felt uncomfortable-but what was voiced in the monologues makes you realize where the feminist movement came from and wanting to speak out about injustices to women.

1 comment:

Prof Ron said...

After reading your response, I wish we could have all gone to the play and then discussed it. Your response is honest and insightful.