Monday, March 3, 2008

Wassup, my niggers?

I found this article very interesting. In my opinion, a word “nigger” should be totally eliminated from English vocabulary. I disagree with the great poet Sonia Sanchez, mentioned in the article. She wanted to turn the negative connotations that come with the N word into something new and empowering. On the other hand total elimination of this word is impossible because our language goes hand in hand with social condition. If there are still racial disputes there will still be people who use the N word as a bad slur.
If either elimination or reinventing of this word is impossible, I assume that a word “nigger” should come out of mouth of just African American. By greeting each other “what’s up, my nigger?” this expression stays for a friend endearment. But there is no way that it would be a part of vocabulary of non-black member of society. I think when whites use this word, it even more deepen the problem of racial discrimination. As mentioned in this article, sentence: “Nigger, what the f*ck are you looking at?” is just a horrifying example that we may hear from somebody who cannot stay any black people. These people are enemies for other blacks.
My own experience has told me that in small communities and clicks there is a usage of “nigger” possible. One of my teammate, every time she walks into locker room she greets us with “what’s up, sluts?” First time, I thought that she is very rude and mean but later on I realized that this is her way of greeting which express her friendship and trust among our team. In the same way, I think the N word should be only possible to use.

3 comments:

Prof Ron said...

The "what's up slut" example is startling in it's one to one similarities with "what up nigga."

Do you think it's just about developing trust/friendship or do you think the phrase works to take over the word slut, to free women from the double standard? (i.e. women are sluts if they have sex but men are studs or players)

Owen Lovell said...

That is an interesting way to refer to friends, the word is somewhat negative in its connotation. I do understand the athlete lingo though, I had teammates that said similar things.

Anonymous said...

I find the word insulting as well and believe that it should be totally eliminated. it's digraceful