Sunday, March 2, 2008

Nigger vs. Nigga

When I was a little girl my father often took my sister and I to Juneteenth, an African American celebration that lasts about a week in the middle of June that celebrates freed slaves.  On this particularly muggy Sunday that were having a talent contest on the stage during the park's festivities.  There were Sisters singing field hymns and children dancing in bright African clothes.  Then a group of boys came on the stage, both white and black, they began to rap and use the word "Nigger" and "Nigga" quite a lot and finally Rev. Davis got up there and stopped the madness.  He then went on to do a kind of sermn on how the usage of those words are damn nation a that they should be ashamed of themselves.  
My father taught me that using "Nigger or Nigga" were both bad.  When African Americans say it to other Blacks it's like setting ourselves back in history and erasing all of the progress we have gotten to this point so far.  Now I'm not one to judge those who say it, and I have a few rap albums in my collection.  I'm just saying I don't say it and I definitely don't like hearing others say it in a hateful way.  
Also, when it comes to privacy it's to each their own I say.  I feel like if people say it in their own home then they better be able to take it in public then.  

1 comment:

shauny said...

I feel the same way.I think that when we have come so far with the civil rights movement, using the word so freely in music and using it in a negative and or degrading way justs makes the people that are rapping seem less respectful. It sets them back to where they wanted to get out.