Sunday, March 2, 2008

Blog 7: Nigger vs. Nigga

Three weeks ago, I was so certain about where I stood with the expression nigger. Now I have seen so many points made by so many races, both backing it up and deriding it. Asking me to take a position is much too problematical, and there are too many inconsistencies both ways. Mind you, my opinion yields the “position” that I take.
“You approach from one side and know your way about: you approach the same place from another side and no longer know you way about.” To me, approaching it from one race as opposed to another, can determine where you end. I am in the majority; Caucasian, and no, I do not use the term. I feel like since I am not of that culture I have no place to use the term. I do not think it is correct, and if there is any correctness in it, it is for that nationality to decide (as it would be with any culture a particular term identifies with). My place in the “public and private sphere” is minute in the big picture, and personally I think it would be great if the rest of the majority saw it my way (is that selfish, or what). If the term is going to be used, that culture has the right do use it, or not, as they will.

2 comments:

Bronson said...

I like that I am the same as you in that your mind has been opened w/ these readings, but your position hasn't altered on what you think about the use of the N word.

Ali Mae said...

I agree with it not being our business as Caucasians, but divisions still exist within a culture that is 'the same'. It's a difficult issue to settle even when everyone's skin is the same color. Frankly, I wonder if an agreement will ever be reached.