Sunday, March 2, 2008

The "N" word....

A friend of mine was sitting in the room with me as I pulled up this chapter, they were interested so i read it out loud. By the middle I was so sick of saying the N word and they were so sick of hearing it, i read the rest to myself. I will personally never be comfortable with that word. I haven't even experienced the stab that it can carry but I still hate that word.
I do think though that as it becomes more and more common, the sting it carries will eventually fade away. Maybe not anytime real soon, but soon enough.
I also found it strange that in the chapter it seemed that the N word was being compared to words like gay and queer. I don't even think it comes close. I do know a few homosexuals who hate to be referred to as queer but will use the word to describe others.
I find the whole thing just mind boggling. It seems that the use of derogatory and slanderous words and phrases is circumstantial and everyone is held to a double standard.
I remember in high school calling my girl friends sluts and hoes, but if some one outside our click was to call one of us that it was grounds for a good ol fashion girl fight.
I'm not comparing the words to each other but the circumstance and double standards are the same.

1 comment:

Bronson said...

I agree w/ you as for the sting that the N word carries. There are a few words in the English language that just really hit hard and sting when heard and the N word is one of those select few for me.