Friday, March 28, 2008

BLOG #9: Gender


The article Return of Girl by Darryl McGrath was very interesting to read. I personally think that calling females "girls" or "women" depends on the age of each individual and the situation in which this addressing is used. Calling a 50-year-old woman "a girl" may sound ridiculously and therefore can be easily understood as gender discrimination. Most of older women want to be respected; calling them “girls” totally lower their standards. On the other hand, from my mom's experience, she looks so happy when my dad calls her "a girl" in a romantic way, for instance "Come on my girl, let's go eat!" It recalls her remembrances of when she was a young girl who was freshly in love with my father.
From my point of view, as a young female, I don't really care if people call me a girl or a woman. "What's up, girl!” is a very usual salutation I use among my friends and in this situation nobody gets offended. Also, my dad still calls me “you are my little girl” and I think it is a warm expression of our relationship. I cannot imagine him telling me “you are my little woman.” Being called "a woman" might make me feel a little older but respected as an adult.
People, men especially, usually do not think that this simple expression can be understood in a negative way. They don’t see the power of word woman vs. girl.
I think men should be calling females “women” in a professional environment to show the respect and “girls” in a personal environment as long as it is understood in a nice way; it depends how relationships are set up among families.

1 comment:

Owen Lovell said...

Agreed, it is all about context