Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Blog #9

I think the issue of "Girl" and "men vs. women" (notice how it's usually a male who comes before the female) is something that pops up in everyday conversation and in the media a lot. Yet, I don't think it really bothers me. I don't think it's really hurting anyone. I think people just bring these issues up too much and make a big deal out of it. Unless someone keeps bringing the issue up, things won't get resolved and progress in a new direction. But does anything every really get taken care of and healed? I like to see men and women as equals, although, I understand many don't see the same as me. I believe we each have our own roles in life equally important and different. Our personalities and mannerisms are also different but unique. Men and women like what Tannen presents in the article differ in how they view communication and thinking, I believe that's what unites both sexes. Yet, many find these differences difficult to deal with.

In regards to the term "girl," I think as long as it's referred to women in a way that's not intentionally demeaning or "girly" than it's fine with me. If people do use it to intentionally define a power position than yes, I don't like it all. It's not easy to get out of the habit of using it for women or for using the word guy to refer to both men and women. If people could try to stop using the term, at least in the work setting than maybe such a touchy subject would erase some stereotypes and bad feelings. Who knows when that would ever occur. Plus, I use it a lot around my friends. Maybe that's because I still am young.

2 comments:

Yony and Eagen said...

I agree, we should avoid the term if we think it might offend someone, but it shouldn't be made into a bigger deal than it is!

Yony and Eagen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.