Friday, February 29, 2008

Techonology (internet) and language

The internet really has a language of its own. That's one of the things I was reminded of, watching the video about authenticity of YouTube. Like when seeing the case of lonelygirl15, where people were (rightfully) accusing her of being a fake, reminded me of the term troll. Here is the wikipedia definition of an internet troll:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

But among the most famous internet language is the acronyms. These acronyms find usage all around the world. Even in foreign languages, the English acronyms are used. Words like LOL, LMAO, ROFL, etc.

1 comment:

Octavia Johnson said...

It is so true what you say about how internet language is universal I never thought about it like that before but I have a pal I e-mail to in Russia and she actually used "LOL" to me before I did!