Friday, February 15, 2008

Language and Technology

I am one of those people who, if they dont have their cell phone, feel socially naked. It seems that the day runs so smoothly with a cell phone, and so unorganized without one. I believe that technology directly affects how languages is used. If technology changes for the better I believe it should reflect in our everyday speech. However, I find that more often then not, it has the opposite effect. I know that with the technology today, my brothers have become lazy, in their actions and their speech. Technology has several benefits but we need to be ready for the changes and be ready to learn and advance. i enjoyed listening to Amy's mother; she reminds me of my grandma.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I suppose it depends on the technology's purpose. Video games were never meant to heighten our productivity. Though I do recall my friends spending hours and hours chatting on the internet. That's how I lost them in the begining. They would never leave their rooms. But I personally can't understand how constant communication could be so alluring.

Pauline said...

I don't have a phone and I serve in the student government working with 40 clubs and organizations on campus, I serve on 5 committee 20 people in each group, I work with 12 people everyday in my own office, 7 other executive council members, 4 advisors, try to mentor 70+ board members, I have two callings in my religion working with 250+, I attend school full time trying to communicate with all my classmates, try to be a voice for 60,000 students, and be a great daughter for two parents, a great sister for one sister and three brothers, growing in the Polynesian culture trying to be a great cousin to 85 first cousin's, be a good aunt for 60 nephews and nieces, and have time to communicate with a higher being at night and morning...whew! You feel socially naked without a cell phone? I guess I can see what you mean.

nick wade said...

I agree that i can't get things done if I dont have my cell phone with me. I have become dependent of my cell phone, without it I tend to not do or would like to do the things i need done. Phones have become apart of our life and they are very useful. Phones at times can be alittle over used by teens but still feel they are needed.