Friday, February 29, 2008

Technology and Language

I have been thinking of the way technology has influenced the way people think and also the way the language changes with it. I started thinking of how it seems that hundreds of years ago, people would hear a speech or hear something on the radio and it was almost instantly believed, just like the war of the worlds broadcast by HG Wells, and now it seems we have gotten to the point where we are so skeptical about what we hear that it requires multiple concrete sources or it is almost too hard to believe. Movies have even changed to the point where it is hard to tell what is real or what is created using a computer, have you ever gotten spam mail? Both in physical mail and in email? Did you ever wonder what was a scam and what was legitimate, how did you find out? My opinion is that the more technology increases the easier it is to replicate, create or imitate any form of communication. One such recent example was a youtube video going around about a girl that opened a car door using a tennis ball with a small hole cut in it, if you look at the comments you can see what kind of a reaction everyone had to the video, I know that when I personally see something in a movie or in the news, my first normal answer is "No Way!" here is a link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rHhgq5umGpI

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I find that I am often looking at YouTube videos and thinking "No Way!"