Sunday, February 10, 2008

African American Linguists

Being African American, this time of year my father would have us kids study historical African American culture and super figures.  Even though he is no longer with us, we decide to continue this tradition of Black History Month.  Because of our class, I've decided to study some African American linguists.  I have studied a couple before, Maya Angelou of course famous with her poetry.  W.E.B. Dubois founder of the NAACP, an educator in literature.  But the one I connect to most is James Baldwin.  Baldwin's novels and essays dealt with racial and sexual issues in the US.  'Tell it on the Mountain' is his most famous discussing racial issues in the early 1900's based on himself as a young boy and his parent's struggles in the past.  Giovanni's Room has to be one of my personal favorites not only discussing racial issues of being African American, but also the controversial subject of  homosexuality being in love with a white person and the struggles in not only our society but in the world itself.
I started my search at 
http://www.oaal.org/historialcallinguists.htm  

1 comment:

Prof Ron said...

What a great tradition to honor your father.

I'm more familiar with his essays on various issues--I will have to check out Giovanni's Room.