Friday, February 15, 2008

"As more people adopted the technology, they brought with them their conventional concerns. the converts to digital writing, like typists and pen-men before them, wanted to know how to do it right...."

"The old-timers clung to their lawlessness as a badge of authority. They were there first, after all: they invented the wheel. Newcomers asked silly questions like: should an email have a greeting?" And newcomers to the discoures show an inordinate fondness for spell-shecking."

When I read this, I laughed out loud! I have experienced being the newcomer: I worried about spell-checking, I didn't yet know how to type fast, and I accidentally put lots of stuff in caps. At the computer, I felt dumb with my friends. How interesting it is that with a new technology rules emerge from the chaos.

I am still new to blogging and i wonder if it shows. I don't know how informal I should be, nor how academic. Last time I posted a blog I had a huge headache, and was just forcing myself to get it done. At the time I remember reading everyone else's post and getting so frustrated. As a result I spent almost two hours composing and editing my post, so that when read, it would say exactly what I wanted it to say, make people think what I wanted it to make them think, be short and to-the-point, and interesting to all. How exhausting! I don't even know if it was worth it.

What an interesting medium blogs are. While its set up to be conversational, all the editing and 'rough stuff' conventions of writing still take place.

1 comment:

Octavia Johnson said...

I am so right there with you when coming to being 'the newcomer'. I have never thought about it before, but your spot on that with the growth of technology comes along many other new rules and regulations. This blogging business has been somewhat of a headache it me as well, but I have to say its nice now to kinda understand what the hell a blog is =D