Friday, February 15, 2008

Technology and Writing

Have you ever forgotten your cell phone at home and gone all day without it? Five years ago this wouldn't have made much difference to me, but now, my cell phone is my lifeline. It is my connection to my husband, my family and my friends, my job. I'm one of those people that Barron mentions in his article The New Technologies of the World who doesn't even have a home phone, my husband and I just use our cell phones. On those days when I have forgotten my cell in the morning and gone without it all day I felt totally disconnected. I also missed the regular texts my husband and I send back and forth all day just to say hi and see what's up. (Even though I have a work phone, very few people outside of work have that number. Also, I don't bother memorizing phone numbers because they're all programmed into my cell phone). While I am not one that constantly wants to have the newest technological device, I have become heavily reliant on my cell phone and email is right behind it. Email is so easy to pull up at work (and home) to check on how everyone's doing and keep in touch in the middle of everyone's busy days. I think there are so many ways for us now to communicate with one another through technology - cell phones, email. texting etc. I think we should learn to use these resources for work and to keep in touch with family and associates. However, we ought to be more courteous with how we use them when we are in public. Barron talked about several situations of people using thier cell phones in public that were very inconsiderate of the people around. I think we all could be a bit more aware of who is around and keep our personal conversations more personal, but I love how I can keep in touch with whoever I want to no matter where I am. As a side note, I loved hearing Amy's messages from her mother, they were hilarious, but I can see why she lets the machine pick up a lot!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I am one of those people too. I hate not having my cell phone to "connect" to my family and friends.

Matt Pope said...

Not having your cell phone for a day can mean the difference of making more money or saving a ton of time if appointments have been canceled. I have lived without one but I don't know how the world can live without this and other forms of technology. We have come to rely on them and it is shaping society to a more instant world.

Lindsay Miller said...

I also feel the need to have my cell phone on me at all times. I receive emails and text messages throughout the day and I can't bear the thought that something important came through while I was at work and my phone sat at home.

I think this could be an addition to why I am not the world's biggest fan of technology. I'd rather be able to go to work for the day, check messages when I got home, and connect with friends and family face to face. Too bad I let that all get away!