Friday, February 15, 2008

New Ways of Communicating



After reading the article by Baron about all the new technologies that we use to communicate I realized that in the house right now there are several of those ways being used. I looked around and my boyfriend was on the internet on his iphone, my little sister was instant messaging, my step sister was texting, and my step dad was on his cell phone.

I don’t think we realize how much the world has changed because of this growing technology. It wouldn't be possible to most of the things we do on a daily basis including posting a blog about new technologies and how they affect communicating. I still wonder how people ever went out on a Friday night without cell phones. You mean you actually had to make a plan and stick to it? What if something happened and you got a flat tire and no one knew where you were? Would the whole night be a bust? I am just happy I have my cell phone for emergencies and or course to call anyone whenever I want, wherever I am.

2 comments:

Prof Ron said...

fascinating how quickly expectations change--I get annoyed now if we are traveling with others and they don't have a cell phone. What if we get separated? What will we do? More importantly, how will these expectations create new ways of knowing and doing and will they all be good?

Matt Pope said...

It is interesting how we become so attached to a cell phone we will return home to get it if we forget. There is a feeling of freedom having a cell phone but you can also feel liberated from your cell phone if you give it up for a few years.