Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Def Poetry - Julian Curry - Niggers Niggas & Niggaz




This video was sent out by a student in my 7am class; I wanted to make it available on the blog so we might comment on it and so my 9am class could watch it. This video adeptly use a very different genre, poetry slam, to get at the central issues we discussed on Monday.

I would encourage comments, questions and responses. A great way to make sure you get those extra blog points which are required of everyone. As you do comment, I would remind everyone, as this is a sensitive issue, to be respectful of different viewpoints, own your own ideas, and provide evidence or admit the lack thereof where appropriate.

1 comment:

Micah said...

Emotional, compelling video. I must admit that as I clicked and started watching it, I was not expecting to be so impacted. When he speaks about the slave on the subway, taking the youth against the side of the train, it really gets under your skin. I have always consciously avoided "the N word" not for the sake of anyone living now, but for the sake of those who have come before us, those who suffered under slavery and tyranny, here in America and abroad. This video speaks to that more eloquently than I ever could, or ever could have expected.